Reiki, Shamanism, and Qigong
I thought I would take a few minutes to plop down my thoughts about these healing modalities.
Here’s some research and links, plus lessons from my personal experience:
1) Reiki promotes self-healing by helping one relax and reduce stress. From Japan, Reiki uses beautiful symbols which a practitioner “paints” in the air / aura around the client. I have both been a client and attended two classes. It is amazing to feel the heat / warmth on specific areas of your body when you are seated, eyes closed, and have no idea where the Reiki master is until you feel the heat. Reiki is not magical but may be mystical depending upon your interpretation. Since my upbringing included a faith that taught “laying on of hands”, AND present day revelation, I have no fear of spiritual types of healing (because everything originates from God, Source, Divine) and in fact, I embrace all healing modalities! Reiki is often translated to mean, “Spiritually guided life force energy”.
2) A shaman is a person with a gift for healing, a person who has practiced bridging the natural and supernatural to effect change in one’s health. A shaman may also be a priest, monk, or tribal medicine man/woman. The shaman I met did not go into a trance, did not bang a drum, or dress weird. Too many times people let misguided perceptions of what alternative natural healers “may be like” and totally miss a blessing!! Profound health and guidance comes through healers not a pill.
3) Qigong is a powerful healing and energy medicine from China. It dates back to between 2500 – 5000 years. There are different Qigong applications.
- Healing Qigong, sometimes called medical Qigong helps the client understand and know how to work with one’s own energy system to balance and prevent dis-ease.
- This is the one I experienced. External Qi healing funnels energy through the body, from the head to the feet – actually pushing or detoxing illness down the legs and out the feet!
- Sports Qigong – the one most familiar to those who practice the martial arts. Also, people learn this for improved golf games, increased agility, accuracy, and stamina while playing sports.
- Spiritual Qigong – most associated with spiritual and self-awareness, most likely evolving from Taoism and Buddhism.
Blending the modalities
I had an amazing visit with Dr. Laurie Zakresky. She performs a blend of modalities of healing. She intuitively learns what you have need of and applies what will help.
In the treatment room, you lay fully clothed, shoes off, on a massage table. Typically massage or meditation type music is playing in the background. The Reiki, Shaman, or Qigong practitioner will move hands near your body, and sometimes pull on your feet, or touch you lightly on pressure points. There is no massage or such happening.
You may experience a warmth / heat, tingling, or other physical feeling when the practitioner passes hands near your body. You will notice, often very soon, that whatever ill symptoms you had, will lighten or leave your body. I felt tingling in my legs and feet. I also was a bit lightheaded when I got up to leave. By the time the hour session ended, some sinus issues I had were completely gone and I felt quite relaxed. I was instructed to continue pressure point tapping for a couple of issues and to drink more water.
Dr. Laurie not only showed me where my pressure points were, and how many times to tap them, etc. but also provided me paper instructions of exactly where to tap on my body so I wouldn’t forget. There was no charge for healing services, however, gifts are always appreciated and of course, she has a store full of wonderful items so it would bless you both if you found anything to purchase.
I will be spreading the word about Dr. Laurie and the Divine Books store. The store sells books, crystals, soaps, natural candles and scented wax “melts”, a kind of pure room air freshener, cards, gifts, and more.
If you’re in the St. Petersburg, Florida area and have any health issue, I hope you will call her to arrange an appointment.
Peace, love, and unity. We are all connected.
A bit about me:
An Amazon bestselling author of two co-authored books: “Transform Your Life Book 2 Inspirational Stories and Expert Advice” and “Energy of Receiving”, available on Amazon.
Plus, my holistic health book that details how I naturally reversed asthma, Take It Upon Yourself to Live a Wholly Vibrant Life, is available now. Buy it here.
Be the best version of who you want to be.
Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose or prescribe.
Follow me on Twitter at: TakeOnYourself
2 thoughts on “Just what is Reiki, Shamanism, and Qigong?”